SUMMER SCHOOL ON MIGRATION 2017
IOM International Organization for Migration Prague in cooperation with Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague (Geographic Migration Centre) organized for one hundred students (both graduate and undergraduate) as well as young professionals the 9th international Summers School on Migration Studies. The program was held from August 27th to September 2nd 2017 in Prague.
The seven days of lectures, workshops and discussions with experts was an unique opportunity to get familiar with different migration topics: integration, labour migration, trafficking in human beings, migration and development, environmental migration, migration and gender, migration law and others.
IOM Prague has implemented the Summer School every year since 2009. It was attended by more than 500 students and professionals from 60 countries who attended lectures presented by following experts:
- Joaquín Arango, Professor of Sociology at the Complutense University of Madrid
- Ronald Skeldon, University of Sussex
- Heinz Fassmann, University of Vienna
- Philippe De Bruycker, Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Lori Hunter – University of Colorado in Boulder
- Jiří Pehe, Director of the New York University in Prague
- Frank Sharry, founder and executive director of ”America’s Voice”, Washington DC
- Romi Mukherjee, Sciences Po-Paris
- J.C. Mutchler, The University of Arizona
Many others distinguished experts from academia, IOM Geneva and Brussels, OSCE, state administration (Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Czech Development Agency, ACIDI Portugal, MA17 Vienna, etc.), non-governmental organizations (La Strada, Charitas, etc.) as well as migrants’ organizations and communities.
In 2017 program gave lectures following experts :
- Martin Kahanec, CEU Budapest - Migration and Economics
- Pier Rossi-Longhi, IOM Bern - Global Migration Trends
- Fatima El Diasty, UNHCR Amman - Forced Migration
- Tomáš Sobotka, Wittgenstein Centre Vienna - Migration and Demography
- Nadya Jaworsky, Masaryk University Brno - Visualizing Refugees: Cultural Representations of People on the Move
- Dušan Drbohlav, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague - Migration Theories, Myth and Realities
- Martin Wyss, Chief of Mission IOM Netherlands - Migration and Development
- Michal Vašečka, Masaryk University in Brno - Integration of Migrants
- Robert Stojanov, Faculty of Science, Charles University in Prague - Environmental Migration
- Salim Murad, EMMIR – European Master in Migration and Intercultural Relations - Migration and Ethnicity
- Petra Ezzeddine, Faculty of Humanities, Chares University - Migration and Gender
- Eva Janska, Geographic Migration Centre - Transnational Migration
- Martin Váně, Danish Refugee Council Libya - The Dynamics of Central Mediterranean Route
- Lucie Sládková, Chief of Mission IOM Prague - IOM Assistance to Migrants
- Teresa Albano, OSCE
- and others
The project is co-funded by the U.S. Embassy in Prague within the Small Grants Program.