Summer School on Migration Studies 2020
The 12th IOM Prague Summer School on Migration Studies was held in Prague, Charles University, from August 24th to 29th 2020. The program attracted university students (both graduate and undergraduate) as well as young professionals from more than 20 countries. Six days of lectures, workshops and discussions with experts will be an unique opportunity to get familiar with different migration topics: integration of migrants, trafficking in human beings, environmental migration, migration and gender, migration and health, migration and development, return migration and others.
In 2020 the program included following topics and experts:
• Dušan Drbohlav, Faculty of Science, Charles University - Migration Theories, Myth and Realities
• Fatima Eldiasty, UNHCR Middle East and North Africa Operations - Mixed Migration Flows
• Eric Opoku Ware, Sahara Hustlers Association Ghana - The Realities of Irregular Migration from Africa
• Michal Broža, United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) Prague - Sustainable Development Goals
• Robert Stojanov, University Padova (visiting) and Mendel University - Environmental Migration
• Srdan Matic, WHO Representative in Prague - Migration and Health
• Tomáš Sobotka, Wittgenstein Centre Vienna - Migration and Demography
• Michal Vašečka, Bratislava International School of Liberal Arts - Diversity and Integration of Migrants
• Salim Murad, EMMIR – European Master in Migration and Intercultural Relations - Migration and Ethnicity
• Petra Ezzeddine, Faculty of Humanities, Charles University - Migration and Gender
• Eva Janská, Geographic Migration Centre - Transnational Migration
• Kristýna Andrlová, UNHCR Prague - Assistance to Asylum Seekers and Refugees
• Irena Ferčík Konečná, International Committee on the Rights of Sex Workers in Europe - Human Trafficking
and additional distinguished experts from IOM, Charitas, Diaconia and other organizations.
The summer school is implemented in cooperation with Faculty of Science, Charles University (Geographic Migration Centre).
Project partner is the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) Prague.
The program is co-funded by:
- Small Grants Program of the US. Embassy in Prague
- MIND Project, implemented by Caritas
- SDGs and Migration project, implemented by Diaconia ECCB
IOM Prague has implemented the Summer School every year since 2009. It was attended by more than 600 students and professionals from almost one hundred countries who attended lectures presented by following experts:
• Joaquín Arango, Professor of Sociology at the Complutense University of Madrid
• Ronald Skeldon, University of Sussex
• Heinz Fassmann, University of Vienna
• Philippe De Bruycker, Université Libre de Bruxelles
• Lori Hunter – University of Colorado in Boulder
• Jiří Pehe, Director of the New York University in Prague
• Frank Sharry, founder and executive director of ”America’s Voice”, Washington DC
• Romi Mukherjee, Sciences Po-Paris
• J.C. Mutchler, The University of Arizona
• Teresa Albano, OSCE - Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe
and other distinguished experts from academia, IOM, UNHCR state administration (Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Czech Development Agency, ACIDI Portugal, MA17 Vienna, etc.), non-governmental organizations (La Strada, Charitas, etc.) as well as migrants’ organizations and communities.